Reid can be a picky eater at times. He LOVES bread and most fruits but it is very hard getting him to eat vegetables. I was telling my friend Tiffany this and she suggested I put spinach in our smoothies. She said you couldn't taste it. Reid LOVES smoothies (and so do EK and I) so I tried it out one day. I put a heaping handful in and couldn't taste even a hint of spinach. Here is my list of ingredients for my smoothies. Don't ask me how much of each because I never measure when I make these.
-yogurt- I use vanilla yogurt because I like a little sweetness, but if I were just making it for me and EK I would use plain yogurt and honey. Toddlers aren't supposed to have honey though so I use vanilla when Reid eats them.
- Crushed ice- You can use cubed ice but my refrigerator crushes it too so I use crushed to help the old blender from having to work so hard.
-One Banana- No need to cut up, just throw it in there
-A splash of juice- It can be orange juice, apple juice, grape juice, etc. If you don't have juice then skip it.
-Frozen fruit- I have found that strawberries and blueberries work the best. I have used peaches before and the flavor doesn't shine through enough. Lately I have been adding frozen pureed pears too. They are left over from when I was making Reid's baby food.
-Milk- Enough to help the smoothing function of the blender, but not so much that it is too liquidy (I know that is not a word- I am math minded so cut me some slack.)
-Fresh Baby Spinach- I buy this from Sam's or Costco.
I absolutely love recipes that you can just dump a lot of stuff in it without measuring so this is right up my alley. Also, the possibilities are endless. I think I am going to try shredding carrots next time. Reid sucks these down and I like that he is getting many food groups in this meal.
I usually pair it with a piece of whole wheat bread. Like I said, he loves bread!
Prime Big Deals
2 weeks ago
That's awesome Angela! Thank you for the recipe! Do you think fresh fruit would work too?