
Reid was 6 weeks old on Friday. We started the day and at around 8:30 his monitor went off indicating he had stopped breathing. I went to his pack-n-play and touched him and he started breathing again. I called the doctor and the nurse told me to bring him in. When Seth got off work he called to check something before we took Reid in and the nurse said she talked to the doctor and he said to take him to the emergency room so they could evaluate him. We met Mrs. Hawkins and Mackenzie and they took EK with them. Then we headed to the hospital. They did an EKG, X-ray, and an RSV test. All were normal. Then we were transported to a room for evaluation. The pediatrician came by at about midnight and she seems to think his sleep apnea is caused by acid reflux. He was fine through the night and we were discharged on Saturday afternoon. They gave us orders for an outpatient GI tract test where he swallows barium. We are going to our pediatrician today for a follow up and to decide when we will take him for the test. The consensus with the doctors is that whatever the cause it seems that he will probably outgrow this in a few months. We have heard from several people that their babies were on apnea monitors as infants. Other than the breathing scares our baby boy is doing wonderfully. He is growing fast and becoming more and more alert. He has been smiling and cooing for a couple weeks now. He is pushing up while on his stomach. He is growing fast! On Friday at the hospital he weighed 13 lbs!!! I think that puts him in about the 95% (my doc gave me a chart but it is kind of hard to read). Seth's cousin David came Saturday to help us out some and to meet baby Reid. He cooked us some yummy Indian Curry chicken. Thanks David!
Here is a picture of Reid being transported from the ER to his hospital room. They took him in a wagon.
The two times we have been there they have put us on the cancer floor. There are kids that have been there for weeks. We have so much to be thankful for. It is so sad to see some of these children.
I fall more and more in love with Reid each day.
Things I have learned about my baby Reid so far:
1. Eating is his favorite thing in the whole world. Whoa be to the person that stands in the way of his milk. He sucks like someone will steal his meal at any minute. For about 3 weeks, he has been eating about 5 oz. of expressed breastmilk every 3 hours.
2. He likes to be held while he is sleeping. We are working on breaking that habit, but I am holding him as I type. What can I say...I am whooped. This even applies to night time sleep too but that is getting better.
3. He has not slept over 4 hours at a time yet.
4. He likes his vibrating chair but he is not crazy about the swing.
5. My personal favorite....He sometimes gets fussy and can not be consoled until he is in his mommy's arms.
6. He likes being wrapped in a blanket with a pacifier while being hummed to and rocked. This typically gets him right to sleep.
7. He is extremely ticklish. If you are having a hard time burping him you can tickle his sides and that usually gets the results (Thanks to Gamama for that discovery.)
8. He is a very loud pooper. Sometimes it makes Seth and I jump it is so loud and explosive. He also does this very often.
9. He likes me to kiss his cheeks. Of course he has no choice. EK and I make sure his cheeks are raw from kisses.
10. He is a cuddle bug!
11. He is a gift from God and we love him so much!
Prime Big Deals
2 weeks ago